Buffalo hide, what to do with it?

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dm3280

Buffalo hide, what to do with it?

Post by dm3280 »

I went on a buffalo hunt a couple of years ago. Had a great time and had the head mounted. It now hangs in my great room. I kept the rest of the hide but now I don't know what to do with it. The hair is a little spotty so it does not look good just laying out. I asked a taxidermist if I could get the hair removed but he said that once it was tanned there was no way. Now I have a large piece of hide with spotty hair. I need some suggestions on what to do with it. I thought of making a rifle case with the hair turned in.

Any suggestions?
Bad Ass Wallace

Post by Bad Ass Wallace »

Just like "Sitting Bull", you could use it for applied mathmatics.

Sitting bull had three squaws, one was very large and cuddly while the other two were quite slim. The cuddly one always slept on a hipapotimus hide while the others slept on buffalo hides. After one long winter all three were pregnant and the following fall, the large squaw gave birth to twins while the others each had one baby.

Ah said "Sitting Bull" I have a vision from the great white spirit.

It is clear to me that the squaw on the hippapotimus is equal to the sum of the squaws on the other two hides!

Some Greek was credited with this theory but "Sitting Bull" proved it!
Hold still Varmint, while I plugs yer!
Orville

Post by Orville »

Make mocassins with it hair side in the indian used to for winter wear. Larry Belitz of Hot Springs SD made a pair for me they are great.
MLR

Post by MLR »

Them would be some damn big mocassins. Who are you sasquash? :lol:

Michael
Orville

Post by Orville »

maybe he could sqeeze two pair out of it and send you a pair :lol:
MLR

Post by MLR »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Dm3280, Why not make yourself a pair of hair-in boxer shorts to keep the monster warm on those cold winter nights. Forget your feet.
shooter37

Post by shooter37 »

Make a heck of neat shooting mat...
pete

Post by pete »

Great idea shooter37.
buffalocannon said "keep the monster warm on those cold winter nights." I'm thinkin' that's way more than you should know about dm3280. :lol:
Dang Long Shot

What to do with a spotty Buff Hide

Post by Dang Long Shot »

Hey dm3280,

Just this past January I came into a rather large buffalo hide at my clubs Alifia River rendezvous down in Florida. It was a very large hide with good thick coat, however there were s few bald areas where the big shaggy must of rubbed the hide and a a sizeable exit wound hole. The guy I deal with was able to carefully double stitch the areas together from the flesh side, using atrificial sinew. From the hair side its a perfect hide...I couldn't care less that it has two areas about 12" & 10"seam stitches on the flesh side, especially since they are at one end of the hide and on the perimeter areas of the hide.

It just took a couple of hours to cut out the bald areas and bring the areas in question together with close stitches. Just a thought....the guy I know is a full time rendezvous trader, and goes by the name of "Spotted Pony Traders" and they also have a web site. His name is Jeff Kruger a very nice & reasonable fellow. I'm sure if your interested he could work it our with you if you sent him the hide. If your interesed, drop me a PM and I'll hook you up with him.
Dang Long Shot

Speak Softly & Carry a Big Sharps. They will see the flash but they won't hear the bang.

Shiloh Hartford Model 30" Heavy 45-70
Shiloh Montana Rough Rider 34" Hvy 45-70 semi fancy wood, pewter tip
NRA, SASS
Florida Frontiersman
dm3280

Hide

Post by dm3280 »

Thanks for the help. My hide has spotty areas that would make it near impossible to cover up without a lot of patching. Looks like the buffalo had the mange (sp). I would really like to make it into something useful either as a rifle case or as someone suggested a pair of shoes with the hair turned in for wearing arond the house.
If I ever do another buffalo hunt I will probably have the hide tanned with the hair off. I think it gives you a lot more possibilites unless you want to make a robe out of it. For me I would not have any place to wear it. I just cannot bring myself to throwing out most parts of a dear of other animal I kill. I would love to brain tan a buffalo hide. I have done so with a dear hide and it is a lot of work, I cannot even imagine how much time it would take to do a full buffalo hide.
DavidVanVorous

Re: Buffalo hide, what to do with it?

Post by DavidVanVorous »

dm3280 wrote:I went on a buffalo hunt a couple of years ago. Had a great time and had the head mounted. It now hangs in my great room. I kept the rest of the hide but now I don't know what to do with it. The hair is a little spotty so it does not look good just laying out. I asked a taxidermist if I could get the hair removed but he said that once it was tanned there was no way. Now I have a large piece of hide with spotty hair. I need some suggestions on what to do with it. I thought of making a rifle case with the hair turned in.

Any suggestions?
Watch the movie "Jeremiah Johnson" and see what his "wife"did with a hide...
Nice "heavy" winter coat. :D

D.
Curmudgeon in Training

"The main proponent for fly fishing is the worm"
McManus.