45-110 reloading

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

doc1138

45-110 reloading

Post by doc1138 »

I have been shooting cowboy action for a while and I got my Quiqley. The problem is I am having a hard time finding reloading data and info for the 45-110. I know about power drops and what not. However, I am not sure of the reloading dies and paper patch sizes, etc. I have some Lyman dies, bell brass, Goex black. However When I tried to seat the bullet in the case it seemed to bottleneck the brass. Is that normal? Howabout case dimentions of a loaded round? I only loaded three rounds and one one of them will chamber. As far as paper patching....
My bullet moulds produce a 5 grease grouves. All the reloading data I have found on-line says go buy this book. For smokeless and cowboy loads and weights I have had no problem... except the Sharps black powder.

Any help and pointers is greatly appreciated.

William
Montana
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Sounds like you are having major problems. & We will need some information before we really can be of any help.

First of all, do you have any experience reloading & reloading for a black powder cartridge rifle?

If you don't, see below link to an on-line reloading manual (one link is to a MS Word file, the other to an Adobe pdf:)

http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Intr ... oading.doc
http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Intr ... oading.pdf

Print it out & carefully read it. It was written by a successful BPCR Shooter. “Bookmark” it under your web browser’s favourite places so it can be easily retrieved.

It would be helpful if you probably had a “hard copy” BPCR reloading manual. I recommended these two:

“Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West “, by noted BPCR Correspondent Mike Venturino
www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3028.htm

“SPG Black Powder Cartridge Reloading Primer”
www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1066.htm

The authors of these two books are well noted in the BPCR shooting arena. Both are very successful BPCR shooters. The on-line manual & the two books are treasure trove of information about reloading for a BPCR. What books were recommended?

The Lyman dies, if they are for a .45 2 7/8” (AKA .45-110), should work.

It is not normal for a seated bullet to, as you say, “bottleneck” a straight sided case such as the .45- 2 7/8”.

As for case dimension, the overall length of the loaded (OAL) round is going to depend upon the bullet weight & nose style & how the bullet seats into the rifling or if it is backed off the rifling. There is no real “pat" answer as to loaded cartridge (OAL) .

If you want to load a paper patch bullet, you’ll need a special mould to cast that style of bullet. See below link:

http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/PPB.html

Some info on the load that you made up:

-Do you have a quality vernier caliper? If not, I urge you to buy one as you’ll need it to measure brass, bullets, loaded rounds, etc.

If you do have a vernier:
-What is the length of the (unloaded) brass & the length of the loaded round?

-Does the unloaded brass chamber in the rifle?

-Did you full length resize the unloaded brass before loading it?

-Did you bell (expand) the case mouth prior to seating the bullet? (HINT: If you expanded the case mouth too much this will prevent a round from chambering.)

-What grade of powder are you loading w/?

-Did you compress the powder w/ the bullet? (HINT: if you compressed the powder w/ the bullet, it is not unusual for the bullet to expand or bump up in dia., & this can prevent a round from chambering.)

Did you use a wad between the bullet & the powder? What kind?

-Primer?

Bullet:
-Did you cast these yourself?
-If you did what is the alloy (lead to tin mixture”)?
-Who made the mould ? -
-What is the bullet weight & style?
-Wat is the dia of the bullet?

Same questions apply if you bought these bullets.

-What is the lube?

Lastly, what rifle are loading for? Is this a new rifle & have you shot it?

I also urge you to read thru the previous posts about reloading, the .45-110, etc., on this forum. There is a great deal of information available, but you’ll need to take some time & do some reading.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Big Iron

Post by Big Iron »

Damn, Ray !!

Is there anything you don't all the answers to?? Thanks for being there and having the patience to share.

- Big Iron
Big Bullets solve all sorts of problems