Modern 77 Sharps

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Brent

Modern 77 Sharps

Post by Brent »

I'm looking for a heavy barreled 77 Sharps long range rifle. Axtell makes them but I would like to find one of them or some other manufacturer's used. Or a Shiloh, if they would make one (much rather that than the rumored Borchardt).

Does anyone know of any other 77 makers besides Axtell and CSharps? And does anyone have an informed opinion on the good bad and ugly of those makers?

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
arnie

Post by arnie »

I wouldnt hesitate a bit to buy another Axtell 77 .I bought one used that has a real heavy barrel on it but is only in 45/70 .Im thinking of making it into a 45/90 since its too heavy for off hand and would be nice for long range .The lock and triggers are so nice that if your used to shooting a 74 you have to pay attention when setting the trigger because you dont feel it like you do the 74 .Same with setting the hammer to half cock .Arnie
Brent

Post by Brent »

Arnie what sort of drop does it have at the heel?

Interested in selling it?

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
e15cap

Post by e15cap »

My Axtel is a work of art and accurate to boot. Can't say enough good things about Axtel Rifles. Roger
bobw

Post by bobw »

Brent you you might give the Axtell folks a call, seems to me they had 1 at the "Q" and it was for sale. I might be wrong though. bobw
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Brent,

Talk to Al about using a 77 for Creedmoor.

Kelley O.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Kelley O. Roos wrote:Brent,

Talk to Al about using a 77 for Creedmoor.

Kelley O.
Indeed! Though I have asked him more about where to find one than actually shooting it. I know he is enamored of his Borchardt, but he seems to think he is going to be buried with his 77 so he must like it at least a little! :)

Brent
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Brent,

When Al was shooting Creedmoor with his axtel 77 he had all kinds of trouble, not because the rifle doesn't shoot, it's the stocks drop & his head position.

Kelley O.
arnie

Post by arnie »

Brent , Im not sure how accurate this is but i shoved a bore size dowel into the barrel from the chamber and from the center of the dowel to the top of the comb is 1 3/4 inches and to the tip of the toe was 7 inches .This is the straight grip model and im not sure how that would compare to the ones with the pistol grip .One of our regulars at our silhouette match has a few with the pistol grip . My Shiloh 74 45-2.6 requires a build up in the comb area so you can rest your cheek on the stock at 1000 yards so i think that would be normal for any 45 caliber shooting that distance .
Now my 38/70 doesnt need a built up comb and i can use a mid range sight on it to get to 1000 yards .
Arnie
arnie

Post by arnie »

Oh BTW Sorry im not interested in selling it .Arnie
Brent

Post by Brent »

Arnie, I thought you would probably want to hang on to it. I didn't realize that they made the 77 in a straight grip.

Thanks for the comb measurements. I'll have to measure mine, but if you look at Shiloh's pictures of their various models you will see two basic types of drop. One is fairly straight, e.g., the LOng Range Express and #1 and Roughrider, and some are pretty steep like the #3 - which is what I shoot.

Brent
arnie

Post by arnie »

Brent ,All my Shiloh 74's but two are #1 with the pistol grip.Arnie
Louie

Slip on comb

Post by Louie »

I have a pair of 77's and at 800-1100 yard I put a slide on pad that raise the comb. Works for me at the shoots I go to but don't know the rules at an NRA shoot.
Dphariss

Re: Modern 77 Sharps

Post by Dphariss »

Brent wrote:I'm looking for a heavy barreled 77 Sharps long range rifle. Axtell makes them but I would like to find one of them or some other manufacturer's used. Or a Shiloh, if they would make one (much rather that than the rumored Borchardt).

Does anyone know of any other 77 makers besides Axtell and CSharps? And does anyone have an informed opinion on the good bad and ugly of those makers?

Brent
Ed Webber made some years back. Not affordable if you found one.
The 74 can be made into a transitional 77. I did this to one of my Shiloh match rifles years ago. Don't think its worth the trouble. Looks neat though.

Dan
klw

Axtel

Post by klw »

Had one. Absolutely beautiful gun. BUT it broke every single time I shot it. Returned it four times.

After the third return I called rather upset. The owner, a man, told me that if I wanted a gun that was reliable that I shouldn't have bought one of his. His were identical to the originals and the originals have problems. I have no idea if that is true or not but I am positive that that is what he said.

Sold it. Told the buyer this story. He was buying his fourth. Loved Axtel guns. But he also said that they broke a lot. VERY FREQUENTLY!

So they break a lot. Doesn't seem to bother the owners but it sure pi@@ed me off. And the company owner could not have cared less. I believe that he is no longer with the firm. In a divorce his wife got the company.

This story was, within my experience, not unique.

Buy a Shiloh or a Pedersoli but not an Axtel!