The Wasserburger Mile-----BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Dan, how will the ten twist 38-70 and 72s do, you think? This is just too cool and can't wait to see how well the shooters do at that distance. MD
RMulhern

One Mile Shoot!

Post by RMulhern »

A 'junk' school bus body oughta make a GOOD TARGET! :lol: :roll: :shock:
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
Steve Ueckert

Post by Steve Ueckert »

Rick--

In that case Kenny could call the match:

"The Wasserburger Mile, or Rancho Deluxe Redux"

:o

'course in Rancho Deluxe it wasn't a bus but a car, an ole caddy if I recall.

--Steve
"...we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor."
bryany

Post by bryany »

Kelly, we'll see you out here sometime for a match. Seems like the shooting season runs longer every year. I'm getting a little wore out after all of the matches this year. Just a couple more and I'll be busy hunting for several weeks just before winter arrives.

Dan, I'm going to have to stick with my existing bullet selection (Mini groove) and try to get some hits with it. It will be interesting to see some data after the match as far as bullet, load, sight setting, etc. Might have to set up a chronograph just to add that bit of information to the collection.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

I thought it might be interesting to estimate some trajectory and sight setting values from the data we have for the Wasserburger Mile LR match.

I entered Dan's bullet specs in the CB Design softare for an estimate of the BC. (0.4944 and then used an arbitrary muzzle velocity of 1350 fps to calculate a trajectory and plot some sight settings

Dan's Wasserburger Mile Bullet

Wasserburger Mile Bullet Specs

Ballistics and Trajectory Values:
The bullet launches at an angle of 5.407 degrees and impacts at an angle of 8.05 degrees with a remaining velocity of 666 fps.
Th bullet drop from level flight is nearly 6,000 inches and the mid-range (962yds)(Max Ordinate) height is 52.5 yards.

Sight Setting Values:

Tom Myers
To be a Man is, precisely, to be responsible.
Precision Ballistics and Records
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Accidentally hit the post button before finishing.

As indicated by this next image. If the rifle has a 36 inch sight radius, a zero sight setting at 100 yards would require an adjustment of 353 points or 336 minutes of angle to impact at the 1760 yard range. So a total adjustment of 3.526 inches on the sight staff would be needed from the 100 yard setting.

I ran a trajectory plot on some other software to show the trajectory path:
The first one shows how the Maximum Ordinate is a ways past midrange.
The second plot has been adjusted to scale and shows the maximum height of the bullet in relation to the 1 mile range and gives one a perspective of the actual trajectory path to the target.

None of this probably means much, but I have a lot of fun doing it.

Tom Myers
Tom Myers
To be a Man is, precisely, to be responsible.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

First of all,

couple things of note! 8) Ray (Grand PooBaa of the FES) Newman has graciously donated a 1/2 gallon of Makers Mark to the Match Winner!

The half gallon of blood Match! we dont mess with a lil ole quart! :lol:

Thanks to Ray for this donation of a great first prize.

Dutch thanks for the info very interesting! to say the least!!! :roll:

I wonder what 1364 fps and a 38 inch sight radius would yield in sight settings? I have a 34 inch barrel on my 45-110. I will use my Nielson-Theodore Mono-Grove 1.425 NASA style bullet.

This match I am thinking will be very very interesting! :wink:

Kelley, will do on the match sight settings and load info. This will prove to be of great interest too all serriously screwy LR shooters. :lol: :wink:

I was basing my calculations for come ups, based on Jimbo's sight settings from the Billy Dixon match, and our own personal experiences at 1200 yards with the 45-110. Several LR shooters were having a hard time being conviced he had about 23 Points of elev, left on his Brockway long range sight?

Dan,

my hope is Jimbo does indeed bring the the 45-100 1-17 twist gun for a wringing out at 1760 yards.

My opinion? :roll: :wink: and mine alone-well I know Jimbo agree's is that a 1874 Sharps in 45-110 will be the gun-caliber to beat.

Like I have said, We got Kirk building us a couple of 25# rifles now for just this kind of game.

When JC Gier got to Raton he said come here, I got something for you! When I slid out that staff from the red MVA bag I said "holy sh--t" a miler sight!

Time and more then a few rounds down range will tell the tale!

Kenny
the Lunger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Boom Stick

Post by Boom Stick »

Kenny,

Hopefully this becomes an annual event. I won't make it up there to meet all you gents this year, but maybe next. I hope to get way more involved in shootin. I'll practice some in the meantime. Have fun fellas!!
A man need not have a dime for what makes life rich.
Brent

Post by Brent »

You guys can worry about elevation all you want, but you are going to have to worry about windage too. Maybe it would be easier to put out a few aiming points left and right of the targets so that you have something to hold on when the breeze comes up.

It will be interesting, that's for sure.

Good luck.
Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Kenny Wasserburger

Brent,

MVA Buffalo XLR soule 44 mins left and right hope its enough :lol: :roll:

And thankfully its not our first rodeo at long range. Jimbo did very well at 1538 yards in the Billy Dixion match set a new Record.

Us Wyoming boys do have some experience at Shooting in Wind. :wink:

Kenny
The Lunger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Aiming points are a very good idea :!: Should be used. Maybe those aim points could be set a 10 minutes spacing.

My now question is :? How are misses going to be seen :?: 1760 yds. is a mighty ways out there :shock: And you can't dial in sights if you can't see misses :wink: & nothing is more frustrating then not seeing misses.

At 356 minutes of elevation, :shock: who has that much sight :?: My Baldwin runs to 325 minutes.

If I was to make that target :shock: 50' tall & 50' wide with a 25' round black center :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Then I maybe could hit it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kelley O.
Kenny Wasserburger

Kelley,

Just checked my new MVA XLR it has 4.15 inches of usable elevation :wink:

My old MVA Buffalo soule zero for 1000 yards with the Paul Jones 540gr Creedmoor was 1.75 inches with the Mono Groove its 1.63-66 10 points lower with the exact same charge! So I have 2.49 to 2.51 inches of elevation to make the mile? :roll: lest if I figured the math right.

MVA's New XLR will be the ticket for the Wasserburger Mile.

The aiming points Brent mentioned mmm maybe a good idea I have to see if its doable? :roll: :?: I would like to have a north firing point and know a good place just have to see if it will work its an old Dry hole location in the middle of the ranch south of the house about 2 miles.

Dad has a huge sheet of steel that's half inch way more then I need so am looking at some old Tank steel should hold up at a mile. At 1000 and 1200 though we poke holes though it with a 45-110 and 50-90's :cry:

Can easy make a 12 foot wide by 8 foot tall target outta that stuff. From some old info I found a 6 foot aiming black is recommended.

Anyone interested in a MVA XLR give JC a call I know he made a few up extra and they are in the new catalog.

Kenny

The Lunger

Kenny Wasserburger

Oh shoot,

Forget to mention we will have a point about 500 yards from the target off to the west side that will be protected to have a spotter there to spot the shots for the shooters and radios for the telling us the hits and misses. The firing point will be quite a bit elevated from the impact area so should make for a good safe zone well out of harms way for the spotter.

Kenny
the Lunger

JerryWilliams

Post by JerryWilliams »

Man, you guys are NUTS! A mile? I couldn't hit that thing if it was straight down. Or for those a little slower in the crowd, straigt up. Hope that spotter is in a deep hole with a hard hat. All I can say, is this shot is going to make some great conversation at the cooler. You guys be carefull out there.
0ne shot, One Hit.
hatchet

Post by hatchet »

If ya can't figure out how to shoot a 130yr old rifle a mile with a modern computer, just keep your sight setting for 100 yards and hold over(Kentucky windage), wait 6 seconds then another 30 for the cell phone call from the guy in the pitts(if there is cell service that is). Either way, it would be all luck for me.
I just think Kenny's looking for an excuse to have a PARTY. Hope I can make it.
All gave some, Some gave all.
www.clenzoil.com
DavidKing@clenzoil.com