Crossno .22 liner, how good is it?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ChrisF

Re: Crossno .22 liner, how good is it?

Post by ChrisF »

I bought one many years ago and do no reget it to this day. The more I am involved with something and the more I learn about suppliers and people who sell BPCR equipment I can bet it will be good quality stuff if it is ni the Buffalo Arms Catalog or the Shiloh Sharps Catalog. They never steered me wrong yet. I used to help coach a Junior Rifle Team and would shoot the .22 indoors in the winter months. However .22 ammo is dried up here so we are all in the same boat.
WHO CARES

Post by WHO CARES »

I bought one last year and am very impreessed with the accuracy of the insert. At 25 yards you can put them through the same hole as the last shot regularly.

Just so you're not surprised, your original extractor is removed from the rifle and you use a small screwdriver to manually remove the spent brass from the chamber after each shot.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians.
newshooter

Post by newshooter »

I've just been over at Buffalo Arms reading about the Crossno & Shaver liners. The way the descriptions were written it's the same Shaver whether .40 or .45.… which doesn't sound right to me. I think Shiloh has Buffalo beaten on price for the Crossno, does anyone have experience with both liners? Right now I'm leaning towards Crossno but would like to hear comparison experiences.
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Newshooter,
I made an insert to go in the muzzle of my rifle to protect the bore in the area that isn't covered by the liner.
I made mine from a Delrin tube but some of the guys used hobby shop brass tubing.
This stops the build up of fouling from the .22s in the end of your rifle barrel.
.22s use up all their powder charge in about 16" and having the liner shorter than the barrel actually adds to the velocity and has no bearing on the accuracy.
Some of the higher end .22 single shot rifles have the barrel back bored to the 16" dimension for that reason which gives you the best of both worlds with a heavier barrel and a longer sight radius and maximum efficiency from the ammo.
This method isn't a necessity but it makes it a little less work to clean your barrel after using the liner.
I have both a .40 and .45 liners and they work very well in my Shiloh's.
Steve R.
AZ.
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Newshooter,
The Crossno is the only liner you want to consider. Period!!
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

One beautiful aspect of the .22 liner - with the current price and availability of .22 ammo you won't be melting through a brick of ammo at the rate you will with an auto-loader. :D
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

This is the first target I shot with my Crossno liner. Extreme left and right were sighters. I was using Winchester bulk pack .22's. I use it in a Shiloh Montana Roughrider. I have no complaints using the Crossno.
FYI - The bottom were from a Marlin 1895 CB.
newshooter

Post by newshooter »

Thanks for the advice…I don't know when I'll ever get "my" Sharps but I may just go ahead and get the Crossno sometime anyway, just to be sure I'll have one.
dryfly

Post by dryfly »

Have both, they are equally accurate. The Crossno has no moving parts, nothing to wear or get out of adjustment. Enough said.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Strong preference for the Crossno, same reasons as dryfly.

Clarence