Crossno .22 liner, how good is it?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

newshooter

Crossno .22 liner, how good is it?

Post by newshooter »

I've seen it mentioned in the catalogs for years and found it on site by using "search", how good, accurate, is the thing?
If my memory is correct the insert is 26 inches long- how is accuracy affected in a longer barrel such as a 34 inch Quigley (my dream Sharps)?
I doubt that I'd wear the thing out but what's the service life considered to be?
ironramrod

Re: Crossno .22 liner, how good is it?

Post by ironramrod »

Shiloh Rifle sells the Crossno .22 RF inserts. Give them a call, and they should be able to answer your questions.
Regards
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

I have one for my 40-65 and find it to be very accurate. I have shot it in matches out to 350 yds and did just fine thank you. I use it mostly for off-hand practice, less expensive that way. Well worth the money. Mine is six years old I think and the accuracy is still there.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Dan Cash

Post by Dan Cash »

The Crossno liner makes my '74 the most accurate .22 I have ever seen. Hard to beat it for its intended purpose and price. Only draw back; who has .22s these days?
Oyvind

Post by Oyvind »

I use one in my Shiloh and the accuracy is just fine. It is great for target practice or just plinking without making too much boom and smoke. When the shooting season starts in the spring I always shoot a couple of hundred .22 rounds through the Crossno liner before starting to shoot BPCR ammo in it. It's like having a slow start in the morning :)

losttrail

Post by losttrail »

But now .22 is nearly impossible to find and nearly as expensive as my .40-65 rounds!
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
Army Veteran, Tank Commander
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

lt,

We spent much of the winter in the Phoenix area. While there I tried on several occasions to find .22LR ammo. None, Nada, Zilch. Last week I went into Sportsman's Warehouse here and the shelves were lined with it. I had purchased a brick of Federal Match the week before and went back for more. It was gone. So I went over to the local shop and there were eight bricks of it plus lots of other stuff. I now have what I need for quite some time. Oh, the price here is $37/500 so not too bad for match ammo. We're paying $20/500 for Winchester X, again not too bad. It's kind of like the primer shortage in '08.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

DeadEye wrote:lt,

We spent much of the winter in the Phoenix area. While there I tried on several occasions to find .22LR ammo. None, Nada, Zilch. Last week I went into Sportsman's Warehouse here and the shelves were lined with it. I had purchased a brick of Federal Match the week before and went back for more. It was gone. So I went over to the local shop and there were eight bricks of it plus lots of other stuff. I now have what I need for quite some time. Oh, the price here is $37/500 so not too bad for match ammo. We're paying $20/500 for Winchester X, again not too bad. It's kind of like the primer shortage in '08.

Paul
Around here, if/when you can find it, .22 is running $50+ per 500. I've seen it go for over $100 per 500 at a couple of gun shows.

All the store shelves are empty around me.

This summer Bass Pro Shops are opening a new store about 5 miles south of me and Cabela's is opening two stores in the Denver metro. I plan on being there one opening day and hopefully find some stuff. Not holding my breath though.
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
Army Veteran, Tank Commander
shovel80

Post by shovel80 »

The .22 Ammo Might be starting to make a come back?...A Co-Worker told me today that Our Walmart Store put up a Bunch of it last night!

Terry :D
newshooter

Post by newshooter »

Still thinking about getting one…someday. :(

If I had one- and didn't shoot 100's of rounds at a time (more like 50 than 500) about how long could a shooter expect the thing to last?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

For ever.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

newshooter wrote:Still thinking about getting one…someday. :(

If I had one- and didn't shoot 100's of rounds at a time (more like 50 than 500) about how long could a shooter expect the thing to last?
There are no moving parts. It should last as long as any other 22 lr barrel, which is nearly indefinitely. I like mine very much and we are using them to shoot the Winter postal match. It is as accurate as any other normal 22, well made, and reasonably priced. That being said, most of the guys that are winning the 22 BPCR silhouette game are shooting dedicated rifles. In my rifle (1874 Shiloh 45-70) I have to adjust the sights every time I remove and re install the liner. Not a big deal, but I do have to spend a few shots getting it zeroed every time I take it out. I seriously doubt you will be sorry if you buy one.
Take care, Cody
newshooter

Post by newshooter »

Now that's the kind of thing I wanted to hear! Thank you guys for your posts :)
newshooter

Post by newshooter »

[quote="newshooter"]Now that's the kind of thing I wanted to hear! Thank you guys for your posts :)[/quote]
Anybody have advice on a 26 inch liner in a longer barrel?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Just follow the instructions that come with the liner.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?