45-110 load

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bullseye

45-110 load

Post by bullseye »

Does anyone have a favorite load they would like to share for the 45-110?
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Bullseye,

somewhere from 104 to 110 grs of Fg Goex compressed around .385.

Swiss 94-102 grs of Fg Swiss and .060 to .100 compression, Via Jimbo.

The Money bullet from Paul Jones or a Brooks copy, My Mono-Groove is also an excellent Choice or the BACO .441 PP bullet.

The above are target loads btw.

For hunting, The good ole Lyman 475125 is tough to beat with the above goex loads running 104-107 grs of Goex.

Also check into my PP Govt nose bullet on BACO's Web site.

Primers WLR with a primer wad or Fed 210's with primer wad.

Pistol primers while they work great in 45-70 up to 90's and perhaps even the 100.

The guys that win the Billy Dixon shoot-or place at Raton are using WLR's and Fed 210 GM primers and a primer wad.

The Lunger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
bullseye

Post by bullseye »

Thanks for the info, now i can get serious!
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Kenny W.,

Have you shot the bullets from that round nose pp mould on the BACO website? How did they perform for you compared to the pp bullets with the Metford(?) style nose?

Regards
bullseye

45-110 load

Post by bullseye »

Kenny w, is that lyman 475125 or457125, 500gr. right?
Kenny Wasserburger

Iron,

have not had a chance to even try that new bullet. Work seems to get into the way right now, and spare time is for getting ready for Phoenix.

Bullseye that the 457125 gov 500 gr bullet yes.!!!

Sorry bout the # mix up.

The Lunger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Iron , I have a mould that is very close to the round nose design from BACO and it shoots every bit as good as the metford nosed one , just takes a little more elevation, from what i can see . mine is adjustable and I usually shoot it at 565 or so .........Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
k4xtt

Post by k4xtt »

To Kenny W.

I'm curious as to the weight and barrel size, across the flats at the breech and the muzzle, of your 45-110? And length. Sorry if I have missed this info elsewhere.

Victor k4xtt
Shilo 45-70 LRE
Trapdoor 45-70
Rolling block 43 Spanish
Kenny Wasserburger

k4xtt,

My Creedmoor Sharps rifle is the #1 Heavy 34 inch tube on the LR Express stock.

About as good a set up for Prone Long Range shooting you can find In my opinion.

The Lunger

Sorry Was so long getting back to you but been gone playing in Casper with Bryan and Jimbo.

SIXSHOOTER

Post by SIXSHOOTER »

OK, so I never thought I new everything but what is a primer wad. Just curious. And how do you use it.

Thanks
DK
Kenny Wasserburger

Primer wads,

I cut a wad of tracing paper (same size as my Over powder wads) using a dowel tool I have made, to insert them to the bottom of the case and gave them a slight twist. Dan T uses ashless filter paper, some folks use newsprint-I used too.

Still others punch though the paper while seating the primer (pistol primers)

I perfer to seat mine inside the case as I use WLR's and Jimbo uses Fed 210 GM's.

Some claim they can see no difference, (using Primer wads) at the Target I can and the Chronograph also.

The Lunger

SIXSHOOTER

45-110 load

Post by SIXSHOOTER »

Kenny,

I am pretty slow so I decided to ask a bunch of experts at the Bozeman gun show how to use over primer wads. They all just put their head to one side and said "what". One guy that said he new everything about eveything related to anything said that to shoot a 45-110 you had to use a duplex load with some fine black next to the primer and then some coarse black for the rest of the load. The over primer wad goes between these to keep them from mixing. This seems sort of likely but speak slowly and explain what it is really doing.

Thanks
DK
El Relampago

Over Primer Wads

Post by El Relampago »

The purpose is to keep the fines (dust powder) out of the primer pocket. It's just a thin piece of paper such as newsprint that covers the bottom of the case before powder is dropped in.
Kenny Wasserburger

I would not listen to the so called experts too much at the Bozeman gun show sounds like they dont know alot about loading BP rounds

I was pretty clear I thought! :roll: I punch my over primer wads with same die I use for the over the powder wad. Put it down in the case with a special dowel tool I made and gave it a twist to seat it at the bottom of the case.

Put in the powder-Compress. Simple.

The above method was used in 2006 to win a Creedmoor scope championship at Raton. :wink:

But what do I know? :roll:

The Lunger

Boom Stick

Post by Boom Stick »

I would not argue with Kenny. I do not know him personnaly, but know of him. I shoot for fun and hunting. Never shot a competition. I will tell you that the expert in Bozeman is telling you something that I have never heard in 10 yrs of huning with Sharps. I shoot a 110 and have never used a duplex load at all. I have tried over primer wads both placed as Kenny recommends and placed in the primer pocket. I have not noticed that tey helped me. They did not hurt either. Kenny has shot way more rounds than I and has made a name doing it.

BS
A man need not have a dime for what makes life rich.