BPCR Exterior Ballistics

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DanTDesigns

Re: BPCR Exterior Ballistics

Post by DanTDesigns »

mdeland wrote:Dan, I wonder if the less leading noted in SS barrels is a function of the alloy make up or that it machines more smoothly. SS in all it's barrel alloy types does have more chrome in it than does CM steel. I wonder if the same is true if the CM barrels are carefully hand lapped?
Mike,

From some serious experimentation that I won't bore the board with, leading reduction with regards to steel type is two fold. First, SS leaves a much smoother finish in the bore no mater the rifling process: single-point cut, broach or button. Second, the coefficient of friction between SS and lead/tin or lead/tin/antimony allows is lower and thus does not smear lead off of bullets as much as chromo. Also, the smoother the bore, the less BP fouling will remain in the bore after firing a round.
All the best...DanT..."The nation which indulges towards another a habitual hatred or a habitual fondness is in some degree a slave.” - George Washington’s 1796 Farewell Address
DanTDesigns

Post by DanTDesigns »

SSShooter wrote:...Jim - what weight does that 38cal bullet cast at for you in 20-1?
Glenn,

Bullet designs like that need 16-1 to work well. The longer the nose, the higher the compressive strength of the alloy needs to be. Notice I did not say "hardness."
All the best...DanT..."The nation which indulges towards another a habitual hatred or a habitual fondness is in some degree a slave.” - George Washington’s 1796 Farewell Address
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Dan, that bullet unfortunately is still just a touch long for when the wind comes up above 10mph. Shoots lights out at 1k until then tho..
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Dan - would you have a mini-groove 44cal bullet design for a 17" twist 32" long barrel you could share? Might as well get a mould on order for the fall.
Thanks.
Glenn
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I shot that bullet he has drawn out in a 16.5 twist rifle. Got a bit of verticle with it at 600, but I think going with 16-1 and a bit more powder and it'll do just fine.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
DanTDesigns

Post by DanTDesigns »

SSShooter wrote:Dan - would you have a mini-groove 44cal bullet design for a 17" twist 32" long barrel you could share? Might as well get a mould on order for the fall.
Thanks.
Glenn,

The bullet design would depend on the chamber's frontend design and also what cartridge is used.
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

SSShooter wrote: Jim - what weight does that 38cal bullet cast at for you in 20-1?
Glenn,

The elliptical weighed 358 Gns. in 16-1 alloy. Another bullet that did well was a Brooks mould that weighed in the 368 Gn. range in 16-1 alloy. Don't even think about softer alloys in these designs, due to slumping............................

....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

DanTDesigns wrote:
SSShooter wrote:Dan - would you have a mini-groove 44cal bullet design for a 17" twist 32" long barrel you could share? Might as well get a mould on order for the fall.
Thanks.
Glenn,
The bullet design would depend on the chamber's frontend design and also what cartridge is used.
Dan - will start as a 40-70 Maynard and the reamer is one that I am told you designed.

Jim - thanks for the info. I'll start with the 340gr Brooks & 325gr & 360gr BACo Money bullets I've got. Will be in a 13" twist 38-50.
Glenn
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

Dan

What's your opine of these?

ImageKAL 45 PP 1.55 Elliptical_zpsm8ibmf9j by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
DanTDesigns

Post by DanTDesigns »

SSShooter wrote:
DanTDesigns wrote:...
Dan - will start as a 40-70 [44-70] Maynard and the reamer is one that I am told you designed.
Glenn,

Is this the 44-70 Maynard reamer?

SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Dan - Yes. That's the one.
Glenn
DanTDesigns

Post by DanTDesigns »

Rick,

I've shot both types of elliptical PP bullets out of my 45's and 40's, as well as PP Money Bullets. Both styles shoot very, very well. Out of a 16-twist, 45-cal, a 1.550" long elliptical is the cat's meow. For the 45's, shank diameter is 0.4460", patched with 8 lb paper to 0.4510". Of the several big, 45-cal elliptical bullets, weights are in the 555 to 570 grain range. For the PP Money Bullets, I like them at 1.500", weighing-in at 550 to 560 grains. All bullets cast in 16-1.
DanTDesigns

Post by DanTDesigns »

Glenn,

Here's the latest in design innovation for the 44-70 Maynard Match Chamber that you'll have. Notice there is never much bore or groove diameter before a lube groove. I've found this design to be very effective at reducing or even eliminating leading on land tops, when using chromoly barrels. This design will also work well with Shiloh's standard chambers, but only with 17-twist or faster barrels. Bullet weight should be about 510-gr when cast in 20-1, the recommended alloy for this design. Your bullet will have the same stability as Doc Lay's 540-gr Money Bullet launched from his 18-twist, 45-90. He's won quite a few mid-range & long-range matches with that setup. So, you've got nowhere to hide:-))) Oh, your bullet will have a very slightly higher BC than Doc's bullet. The sectional density is the same, but yours has a slightly longer nose as a function of caliber and is also longer as a function of caliber. Remember, drag scales by caliber, for you geeks out there.

Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

DanTDesigns wrote:
SSShooter wrote:Dan - is BACo's 40cal 400gr 409400M4 "Kidwell" bullet mold (your Money design) a mini-groove?
Glenn,

Here's a diagram of a bullet I designed for Kidwell. This may be the 409400M4 "Kidwell" bullet. Kidwell should be able to confirm one way or the other.

The one I've got the grease grooves were made at .3500 for a young lady to either blow tube or use smokeless
That's a very accurate bullet at any distance, with either powder. :wink: :D
With the first lot of 1 1/2 Swiss it loved 71 grs.
Couple of guys would shake their head & say "Here comes that dang girl with that thunder stick of hers".
She just smiles :D
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Dan - thank you. Much appreciated.
Glenn