Got a new to me 45-110

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

69daytona

Got a new to me 45-110

Post by 69daytona »

I bought a nice peters oil 45-110 boss. Came with dies brass and some PP bullets and some reloading info from what the guy who owned it used.
Being new to BPCR and wanting to use it for silhouette shooting and latter some long range.
Was out at Ione, Ca Sac valley shooting range watching and learning at the silhouette match and everyone said to come here and look for a Mr. Wasserman, sorry if I messed up your name.
Arnie said you would be the best person to talk to on loading the 45-110.
If anyone else has any inside on reloading and loads for the 45-110 please let me know.
I have a 525gr pp money mold and only powder I have is 2 lbs each of Goex and Swiss 1Fg.
Load that was sent with gun was 100gr Old E with .060 plastic wad then a wool wad with lube and then a .030 veggie wad, didn't say anything about compression but did say Pp bullet should fit snug but push in with finger pressure to a depth of .125.
He said it is very accurate at 300 yards, last he shot it before mailing it out to me.
Del

Re: Got a new to me 45-110

Post by Del »

You're looking for Kenny Wasserburger. Look in the list of members up in the upper right corner of this page, then look under the "K's". The search engine used to let us put in 45-110 or similar but it now ignores these types of common search requests. Here is a link to one of the posts that has quite a bit to read on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1938&p=13079&hilit= ... ate#p13079

When I was shooting mine, I was using a Paul Jones 545 gr Creedmoor bullet, Norma brass cut down from their "basic" brass, 96 grs Swiss 1f which ended up with about .120" compression, and at the time was using a .030 vegi-wad but I should have been using either a .030 or .060 poly-wad. CCI 200 primers.
Fortune Favors the Bold...
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Definitely spend some time going through Kenny's old posts. There is a lot of information in there. I imagine that load would probably shoot pretty well. Mine shoot well by following his ideas. I use Goex Fg in mine rather than OE. That load of OE should be well over 1400 fps as I get around 1365 ou of 105gr of Fg.

I assume that "peters oil" is an auto-corrected spelling of Pedersoli? :-)

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Kenny is 'The Man' to talk to about the 110, and, he has posted enough information on this site about loading that cartridge specifically that it should take you at least a year to read, absorb and understand all he has written.

From what I have seen in competition it comes into it's own once you get past 600 yards all the way past the normal limits of reason.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

WELCOME :!:
Kenny and RMulhern will lead you on the path of the '110'.
Good luck,
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
bobw

Post by bobw »

desert deuce wrote:
From what I have seen in competition it comes into it's own once you get past 600 yards all the way past the normal limits of reason.
DD " normal limits of reason" with a 45 2 7/8" is from " can see to can't see" the target. Sight staff elev is the limiter for folks who see well. bobw
bobw