DGL lube for hot weather

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: DGL lube for hot weather

Post by gunlaker »

Zack I have definitely come to the conclusion that things change when shooting in the hot dry places :-). I'm slowly coming to a few conclusions regarding fouling and how it affects my rifles and what to do about it.

The Borchardt and I are getting along well now. The one issue I still have is that it's very easy to seat a cartridge ahead of the extractor.

I am shooting the new kind of bullets with the funny little bumps. The Baco 459535M1 in 16:1, lubed with DGL to be precise. I unfortunately have to size them to .458". I'm going to see if they can cut the same bullet but in .458" and with minigrooves rather than the big ones on my current bullet. That won't happen in time for Byers though, but maybe in the spring.

I'm going to bring both the PP rifle and the Borchardt to Byers. The only thing that I'm apprehensive about with the Borchardt now is that I'll be using a scope. I'm thinking that I might shoot the PP rifle in the money match as it's all from the covered 1000 yard line. That will make the fouling management a bit easier. The Borchardt will probably be the one to use for the Creedmoor match.

My other .45 grease groove molds arrived last week. Buffalo Arms must be busy these days. These ones are to try in my .45-70's. They both have reduced driving bands so I can seat them way out. I'm heading out to cast a bunch of .45's this week.

Chris.
BFD

Re: DGL lube for hot weather

Post by BFD »

Chris,
If you wipe, you don't really need to worry about temperature and humidity issues and what not. When it gets hot, just wipe and be done with it. Groovers or Paper patch, doesn't really matter.