What is the weight of a #3 with a 30' Heavy Half barrel

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jack Bickley

What is the weight of a #3 with a 30' Heavy Half barrel

Post by Jack Bickley »

Hello Fellow Shooters,
I have a #3 on order in 45-70 with a 30" Standard barrel. I'm sure it will be a great hunting rifle, but I would like to have some more weight for the range, or Silhouette.
While I don't want to go with a Heavy Octagon, I hoped someone could tell me what a #3 would weigh in 45-70 with a 30" Heavy Half barrel.
Thanks,
Jack :D
Jack Bickley

Post by Jack Bickley »

Thats a 30 inch barrel. Not 30 foot.
Jack :lol:
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Jack,
check the support forum for October 24 2003. I posted a chart that will give you a very close estimate based on thickness and caliber.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Jack Bickley

Post by Jack Bickley »

Trigger Dr.,
Thanks for the info.. Unfortunately I'm not sure what the different weight barrels measure across the flats, or what the round ones diameters are. I printed your information for future reference though.
I was hoping someone that had one could tell me what theirs weighed, so I could get a more exact weight rather than an estimate.
I know it's difficult to get everything in one rifle, as in, a hunting and silhouette rifle. But I'm trying to get the best combination of the two I can.
Thanks,
Jack
rdnck

WEIGHT

Post by rdnck »

Jack--I have two Shiloh Number 3 Sporters. Both have 30 inch number one heavy barrels and shotgun buttstocks.

The first rifle has the rubber buttplate and no pewter. An absolitely standard rifle except that it has one wood upgrade. With a Parts Unknown Borchardt rear sight and a Lyman 17A in front, the rifle weighs 11 pounds 14 1/2 ounces at the Post Office.

The second rifle is a Hartford model. It has really good wood, a checkered steel buttplate and a pewter nosecap. With a Parts Unknown Borchardt rear tang sight and a Lyman 17A in front, it weighs 12 pounds 6 ounces on the same scales at the same Post Office. This rifle weighs 12 pounds 2 ounces with standard barrel sights.

If you get pewter and a steel buttplate with a 30 inch number one heavy 45 caliber barrel, you stand a really good chance of not making weight. My Number 1 Sporter with good wood, 13 5/8 inch pull, checkered steel buttplate and pewter nosecap does make weight with the same sights installed, but by the slimmest of margins. I remove the rear barrel sight and use a dovetail blank to keep the weight at 12 pounds 1 ounce on this one. It goes 12 2 1/2 with the rear barrel sight in place. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Jack Bickley

Post by Jack Bickley »

rdnck,
Thanks. That helps a lot.
Jack :D