upgrade old rifle

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

wofat

upgrade old rifle

Post by wofat »

is it possible to have my shiloh sent back to have some upgrades added ex. buttstock style changed + wood upgrade :shock: , antique finish,
TYRVR

Rifle Modifications:

Post by TYRVR »

Yessir!
Kirk and crew can alter rifles produced by Shiloh to fit your particular needs...as long as the desired modification does not render the rifle unsafe.
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
wofat

Post by wofat »

thanks tyrvr, i have a hartford model with semi-fancy wood and cresent buttplate. hurts my bad shoulder need a shotgun butt like my other shiloh would like to upgrade wood and add cheekpiece. also like too antique the recevier if possible.
TYRVR

Ch-Ch-Ch- Changes....

Post by TYRVR »

As soon as our esteemed leader Kirk returns, send him an E-mail detailing your desired modifications and he will work the details of lag time and price out with you, I have every confidence that a mutual arrangement will be forthcoming,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Wofat,
Just on the chance that you might not be familiar with these shoulder pads, take a look at these Rand Elite shoulder pads (recoil shields) from Buffalo Arms.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,168.html

Since I have been using one (I have three of them, I like them so much.) of these, I have not experienced any soreness in my shoulder nor even the first hint of bruising, regardless of calibre of rifle I am shooting or the number or rounds I shoot. These pads are worn like a shoulder holster and are thin enough to be worn under a shirt and not be real obvious.

The pad itself might be sufficient to solve your problem, but the combination of the pad and putting a shotgun buttplate on your rifle may well be your answer. I have the military buttplate on my Hartford .45/90 and with this pad I have not problem at all.
Lee Stone
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

One more thing, I happen to be on aspirin therapy, and I bruise very easily. So you can see why I am so enthusiastic about these recoil shields.
Lee Stone
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Lee and Wofat, even better than the strap on type shoulder pads is a "live rubber" type slip on recoil pad that I got turned onto last year at Kenny Wasserburgers shoot by Jim Eggleston ( a top shooter, and maybe even a better spotter). It is called the Shooters Friend, and is available from a number of sources. Two that I know of are Cabela's, and Sagebrush.

I used mine at the Q last year and quite a number of shooters asked where I got it. I found out that Sagebrush was on the grounds, and they had a half dozen and sold them out in about 1/2 hour. Using one of these you can hardly tell the difference between a .40-65 and a .45-110. Kenny used Jim's at his Wy shoot and ordered one the next day. If not mistaken he is still using it today. :lol: Randy
Randy Ruwe
wofat

Post by wofat »

thanks guys . i'll check out both. guess i'm just falling apart as time goes by
Frank

Post by Frank »

Omaha Poke,
Cabelea's new Shooting Catalog has a slip on pad called "The Shooter's Friend Recoill Pad" for $17.99. That is the only slip on rubber pad they list, Is that the pad you are talking about?

As far as shoulder pads Lee is right, I have been using a Rand pad for over 5 years when Mr. Rand was selling them from his shop and they are great. I gave every other pad I had away.

Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Frank, yes that is the one. Try it and you wont go back to the strap on style :!: For one thing, the rifle doesn't slip off your shoulder, and in hot weather you aren't adding another item to heat you up. Takes the bite out of the big bore rifles like nothing else I have tried. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Randy,

Is correct in that I use one of the shooters's Friend Pads for my 45-110. Have used it since my match last May with excellent results. My rand has been in the box but not used since then.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Kenny, good to hear from you :D :!: How many shooters are signed up for your shoot so far? I am really looking forward to it and seeing everyone from last year, and meeting some new (to me) shooters as well. Hope everything is going well for you, :) Randy
Randy Ruwe
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Randy,

Thanks, We have quite a few shooters signed up allready over 20 so far and thats a lot considering how early it is.

Things are a big rough around here but hanging in there.

Kenny
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter