First Shots..First Kill

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

wwben47

First Shots..First Kill

Post by wwben47 »

What a weekend! It seems like everything you do with these rifles makes the "addiction" worse!.."Buckeye Shooter" (Jeff) was kind enough to invite me up to his neck of the woods for some informal shooting at his house on Friday evening..and then off to a shoot on Saturday.
Jeff was kind enough to take a picture of my rifles very first shot...I had waited twenty years for that shot..and it was a pure dee miss! We had decided to start at two hundred and see what it would do..After a couple rounds we put up a target at one hundred and things started looking up. Then Jeff helped me mount a Ron Heilman mid-range tang on it. At one hundred the full buckhorn all but obscured the front blade..but with a little patience I started getting shots in something resembling a group...
We were about to go to 200 again with his 520 grain bullets loaded over 72 grains of 2F when Jeff said "Theres a groundhog!" (I was fumbling with the adjustments and trying to make heads or tails of all those "teeny little marks".)
Sure enough an apparently deaf, (not to mention brazen) whistle pig was sitting up about 20 yards behind the 100 yard target. By this time I was starting to get at least some idea of aim point, and judging from the last few shots I put the top of the blade at about his feet, set the trigger and squeezed off.
The smoke cleared and Jeff said "You got him!" (which proves even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then) Jeff said he hadnt even twitched his tail when that big bullet centered him.
Later Friday night I laid in the dark trying to go to sleep...With a grin from ear to ear!
Shoot it?..I caint even see it!
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

I bet you still got that grin on your face right now, don't you? :lol:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
don marable

shooting at house

Post by don marable »

I can't believe that you visited Buckeye shooter and did "SOME INFORMAL SHOOTING AT HIS HOUSE." You shot at your friends house? I hope the damage was minimal. Of course, I knew what you meant, but it was funny on the first reading. I do envy you those whistle pigs.

I hope you enjoy your new rifle as much as I have my Shiloh. They are fun guns.

Good Shooting,

Don
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Don, I live in a brick house with a sandstone basement so it stops those bullets real good :lol: Wes and I are leaving Monday for a trip to Big Timber then were heading to Harlan and Wendy's shoot in Nebraska next weekend. Should be fun.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

Buckeye....just where is Upper Ohio Valley? The wife and I end up in Toledo every now and again to vist the daughter.

Maybe some day we could stop by and say Howdy!

if I recall....you got yourself one of dezzzs 45-110s too!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Capt Call, I'm probably only a little over an hour from you. I'm just outside of Dillonvale which is about 20 min SW of Steubenville. You are more than welcome to stop in any time you like, and yes I have two 45-110's now. Ones a 34" heavy LRE and the other is a #3 16lb bull barrel. I also have about 450 yards I can shoot in my back yard. You would need to call me if your heading my way so I'm sure to be there. I'll PM you with my phone numbers.
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

BucheyeShooter

Buddy...you got your self a DEAL!
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

BuckeyeShooter

Buddy...you got your self a DEAL!

&%#*---were is that edit button?

If I remember right....typeing class was 1971 ...I sucked at it back then too!
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Capt. Call, got your PM with your phone #. Will give you a call this week. Wendy(my fiance') says dinner at the Red Bull Inn sounds good to her. We have two weekends free. The 25th of this month and a weekend in October but I don't remember which one it was off the top of my head. I'll get with you in a day or so. Take care. Jeff