Montana Whitetail

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JWilgus

Montana Whitetail

Post by JWilgus »

I just got back from my big Whitetail hunt in Montana. I used my 45-100 to take a huge WT doe at the amazing distance of 64 yards. Penetration of the SB 544gr bullet was not a problem. I intentionally ate up to the two holes just to prove a theory correct. Delicious. JW
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Dear JWilgus

Are we talking about the Steve Brooks 544-grain Creedmoor bullet or another configuration. I have a Texas whitetail hunt coming up where I plan to shoot my .45-100 from a blind at about the same range as yourself. I have some Brooks 545-grain Creedmoors brewed up which I may try. They are of pure lead. Did you use black powder?
Beruisis

Post by Beruisis »

Buffalocannon & JWilgus, Gents...Opening day for Texas deer I dropped a nice little nine pointer with my 40/90. Range was only 90 yds and the buck acted like it was hit by a freight train. Complete penetration & absolutely no bloodshot meat. I sure would like to try it out on elk.
Good hunting!
David Kunkel

Post by David Kunkel »

To All,

A freind of mine and I just harvested two ninehundred pound Buffalo with steve brooks 530 grain postell shape bullets cast in 30/1 alloy pushed by 92 grains of ff goex from our 45-110s. both hides have two holes each and no damaged meat!

Happy hunting,
Dave
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I think 'ol Elmer knew what he was talking about didn't he, "eat right up to the hole".!!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
JWilgus

Bullet design

Post by JWilgus »

Sorry it took so long for me to respond, its been a busy winter. Yes, it was a Steve Brooks 544gr bullet. 30-1 I use 85 grains of Goex FG in my 45-100. No matter what combination I try, it seems to shoot the best. Also, I use the FED 215 Magnum primers.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

David, tell us more about your hunt, like where it was, how much it cost, basically all the good details. Thanks, Randy
Randy Ruwe
David Kunkel

Post by David Kunkel »

Omaha, We harvested our Bison on the Flying-D Ranch southwest of Bozeman Montana. We use Cowboy Heaven Consulting to set up our Harvest date and fit this into our annual Montana deer hunt. The cost, (you can look at this several different ways) is determined by the weight of the animal that you pay for. We shot 800-900# animals at a cost of $800.00 That included field dressing and loading into the truck by the guide. We take ours down to a meat cutter in Bozeman and let them cut/wrap and freeze the meat at 45 or 50 cents a pound and $50.00 (well spent) for skinning while we are off hunting deer for a few days then pick it up on the way home. I figured about $4.00# by discounting the cost of the deer hunting trip that we have been doing for many years now befor adding the Buffalo into the mix. You could add all sorts of things that are part of hunting trips and come up with a higher number, but I'm going hunting for deer whether or not I stop for the Buffalo.

The experience is not hunting. Having said that I must add that the people at the ranch are very good and Friendly and care very much for their animals and customers. We have done this twice and will probably do it every year from now on. If you are after some of the best meat there is and are not worried about "a hunting" experience then I highly recomend these folks. You can reach them at: www.cowboyhvn.com or Phone them at 406.587.9563

My e-mail address is: seauck204c@msn.com

Hope this helps,
Dave