Serious loading now begans ...

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kodiak

Serious loading now begans ...

Post by Kodiak »

as I drew a Montana antelope tag in the lottery today. I have a Steve Brooks mould, for a bullet of my own design that I plan on using it in the 45/90 Shiloh. It shot very well in the 45/90 roller, but I will be using the Sharps this year and a little testing will have to take place. I also need to cast a few bullets at 40:1 to see if they're soft enough and might not lead-up. The 30:1 bullets that I have now probally will work ok, as they were used last year for antelope and a couple of Bison, taken by others.... It'll be fun,
pete

Post by pete »

Kodiak; Good luck on your antelope. What weight bullet are you talking about? I've used Lyman's 457193 at 420 grs. out of pure lead and it worked great for deer, antelope and buffalo. A little leading but not too bad and it generally comes out pretty easy. I've started giving the bore a light coat of natural lube before shooting with 20-1 alloy and it helps alot. I'll try it with pure lead to see what happens. I didn't draw an antelope tag for Colorado but that's not unusual being as it's getting harder to draw here every year. I was really hoping to since I'm going for a buffalo this year and thought it would be cool to hunt the two main plains animals in the same year. Oh well. Depending on the openess of the country you're in and the skittishness of the animals antelope can be pretty challenging with bp. But hey that's why we do it. It's a good chance especially with antelope that you might be the first one in well over 100 yrs to kill one with bp cartridge in the area since not many people go after them that way. Have fun.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Kodiak, more important than your bullet or anything else is your distance estimation ability. Start practicing now. From 50-300 yds you should be within 10 yds of actual. There are good websites about estimating distance and I have a webpage about it too. Practice practice practice and you will be up to the challenge!

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Brent,
How about a link to that page?
Jim
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Brent

Post by Brent »

Jim,
I can't find the sniper range estimation page I remember, but type "range estimation" sniper into Google (use the quotes) and you will get a pile of stuff, inchttp://www.snipersparadise.com/marksmanship/ra ... .htmluding this one

My webage on this topic is at :
http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/Hunting/Antelope.htm

Hope this helps. I would like to hear more on the topic.

In the meantime, walking around town with a range finder may seem weird but it helps - a lot.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

Pete,

I use a cast bullet of my own design. It weighs 510 gr., and has an almost full diameter flat nose. Many years ago a co. in western Montana (CastKing) made a bullet very much like it. The wide front-end of the bullet really makes a loud ka-thump on striking game.

Brent is absolutely correct about estimating ranges, lots of practice needed.

A few years ago, when I made my first trip west with a BPCR, most landowners there kinda laughed when they looked at my old roller, but when the smoke cleared and I had put a nice buck down at over 300 yds., they changed their tune :lol: . It draws a crowd now when I show-up with it. :lol: .Lots of fun,