Holcomb Buffalo Ranch

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bombay club

Holcomb Buffalo Ranch

Post by Bombay club »

:D Hello all!
has any of you fine gents hunted buffalo at the Holcomb Ranch,Buffalo South Dakota,I am thinking of going for a meat hunt,they are advertising grass fed Buffalo!
George R

Buffalo Hunt

Post by George R »

Howdy,

Never hunted there, but did hunt at Wishboneoutffters.com in Edgemont SD and had a wounderful time, got a nice big cow also.

I used a 45-90 Hi Wall w/80 grains of GOEX FFg and a 507 custom Steve Brooks FN.

The 90 is a real hammer on Bison.

George :)
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Bombay,

Although I'm not familiar with the Holcomb operation, I am very familiar with the country. My guess is that it is a working ranch, because 14,000 acres is not unreasonable for that area. They have a website, but judging from your post you have already found it. If the picture on their website is from the ranch itself, my guess is that it is from the Slim Buttes country east of Buffalo; a very scenic area indeed. If the ranch is in the Cave Hills area north of Buffalo, I would be somewhat cautious and ask lots of questions. There are some issues with uranium mining in that country in the 1960's and potential for high radiation levels in the area.

Another consideration is that they also supply help in handling carcasses. Be sure to inquire exactly what kind of dead carcass help is provided. This is important, because all dead buffalo are heavy; the big ones are really heavy. What this means is that without serious help one starts taking apart the carcass right where it is laying; down in a dry wash, in a pothole slough or wherever. This is a real bearcat, if you shot your buffalo about 1/2 hour before sundown.

All in all for $1.60/lb of skinned, gutted hanging weight, that is not a bad deal; especially if it ended up 30' down in a dry wash when it died, and they will drag it out for you.

Regards
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I worked for Richard and Lilly Bumbacca on a Buffalo ranch about 25 miles east of Bullalo, WY a couple of years ago. He had some "wild" danged buffalo that were everybit as spooky as whitetail. They also had one named "frenchy" that would stick his head in the bus and lick the tourist!! ha ha. The reason I brought this up is they had a wonderful restaurant, they served mainly buffalo and it was wonderful, if you get by there you should treat yourself.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Bombay club

Post by Bombay club »

Gentlemen,
thanks for the replies,
I just spoke to the owner,the ranch in question is 40 miles east of Buffalo,but it seems he is now sold out of meat bulls!
He is going to try & locate another grass fed meat bull for me if he can from one of his neighbors.
I would like to hear from other members who have hunted in the Dakotas & might some have some place to reccommend,my son is on spring break next week & I was hoping to take him on a buff hunt with my 45-110!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Give Richard a call, Richard Bumbacca, he is in the Buffalo phone book, he sells (or did anyway) meat bulls. The "RBL" buffalo ranch.
Shiloh Rules!!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

The ranch I was talking about is in WY, not SD, but it's a neat place and very nice people who run it. Sorry, with my stupid speed reading I missed the SD reference earlier.
Shiloh Rules!!
Bombay club

Post by Bombay club »

Ken,
thanks anyways for the suggestion,I just got done booking a hunt at the JUMPOFF BUFFALO RANCH IN SD,I'll see how this one turns out,now it's down to the range with the 45-110 & try some buffalo loads. :D