Berdan's Sharpshooters

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Should the US have invoked its long standing policy on weapons of mass destruction as embodied in the doctrine of Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) after September 11th ?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 10

Canoe112

Berdan's Sharpshooters

Post by Canoe112 »

Kirk,

The 1863 you manufacture is a Civil War era Rifle. Your site says it is available in .50 and .54 cal.

The writings on Berdan state that his sharpshooters used Sharps .52 cal. (Although some sources do mention that Sharps "sniper" rifles ranged between .50 to .58 cal during the Civil War.)

So I am wondering why Shiloh doesn't make a 1863 in .52 cal. Seems to me like a lot of guys would want to emulate Berdan's rifles. I would at least.

There's probably even a few who would like to fire up a .58

So why only .50 and .54 ? Is it the result of no demand?

Thanks,

Canoe
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Canoe, These guns were re-introduced back in 1976, it has not been until the last few years that there have been custom mould makers. There are still a vast number of guys that would rather pay 40.00 for a mould, or use maxi balls than buy a good mould. This is why they were made in 54 cal. We haven't had any call to make a .52 and it is a large sum to re-tool for a different cal. for one or two guys. Thanks, Kirk
JMLange

Berdan's Sharpshooters

Post by JMLange »

Hello Kirk,
I may be completely wrong on this, but it seems that I remember coming across something in my reading about Sharps rifles that during the Civil War rifle calibers were measured land to land, and not groove to groove like today. Therefore a .52 cal. would be a .54 cal. in todays terms. I will try to go back and find the reference, and hopfully there is someone more knowledgeable on this board with the answere.

John
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

JMLange,

I would appreciate if you could find that reference. It would clear up this subject for me.

I admit to having neglected my study of the Civil War (or for the benefit of Lee and his Bretheren; The War Between The States).

The vast majority of my historical study has been related to Dictatorships.

Does your statement mean that the .58 reported to be used by some Civil War "snipers" in reality was a .60 cal by our standards of today?

thanks,

Hal
Maj Bob Lee

Post by Maj Bob Lee »

Before getting into BPCR I shot ,and still do shoot, muzzleloaders for about the last 35 years and have done some reading about the guns used in our history. I can't remember where I saw it but I do remember reading the same thing that during and well before the war of Northern Aggression that bores were measured land to land. It would make sense as in a patched round ball gun you want a ball 5 or 10 thousands smaller than the bore land to land.

Alan
aka: Maj Bob Lee
NRA, NMLRA, SASS
"A miltia when properly formed are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms..To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms.." Richard Henry Lee 1788
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi guys, I just measured an original 52 that I have and it measures .520" x .530". That is all of the info. I can give on this. Thanks Kirk
JMLange

Berdan's Sharpshooters

Post by JMLange »

The source for my above comment is "The Sharps Rifle - Its History, Development and Operation" by Winston O. Smith, 1949 William Morrow and Co. He measured a number of rifles and carbines and found out that they varied land to land .518 - .524, and groove to groove .530 - .545. Thus the use of the "christmas tree" bullet with the large diameter rear band to make up for these variations.

John
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Thanks to all of you for the information you provided.

I track down the book referenced.

Hal
gmartin

Berdan's Sharpshooters

Post by gmartin »

Sir,

Your interest or question concerning 59' and 63' rifles has been one I've thought of also. I own a Shilo 63' carbine of .54 cal. Go to Mike Venturino's SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLES OF THE OLD WEST for a very good description and discussion concerning the variability of vintage 69' to 78' sharps concerning bore size. I think therefore that cal. .54 in replica sharps is fine. Good question I believe however. Gregg.
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

JMLange, gmartin:

Just in the last two days I managed to buy Smith's book in a First Edition, Very Fine condition for $56.01. Seems like a good price to me. So I now have that for a reference book.

I have MLV's book already and am continuing to read it.

I thank you for your input.

Hal