Smokless in a 45110

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Hangfire

Smokless in a 45110

Post by Hangfire »

Hi Everyone. Hangfire here in Chicago Illinois. Some ranges here in commie country don't let you use Blackpowder on their ranges. I have a 45110 Quigley model can I use Smokless Powder in my 45110? Please respond to ishiloh43@comcast.net or ishiloh43@msn.com Thank-you Shep or call me Hangfire
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Hangfire, check out the loading information on the Accurate Arms powder site. It lists good loads for their XMP 5744 powder for use in BP firearms including the .45-110. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Hangfire,

The following is posted on the Shiloh site, in the section entitled "Choosing your Rifle":

"However, some Sharps shooters shy away from using blackpowder for whatever their reasons. Therefore our rifles that are chambered for cartridges for which modern factory manufactured smokeless powder ammunition is available are warrantied for such ammunition. Those are the 30-40K, .38-55, and .45-70.

NOTE: [b]We do not recommend that smokeless powder handloads be used in the large volume blackpowder cartridges of the 1870s.[/b] There have been reports of excessive pressures, even detonations, happening when too little smokeless powder is loaded in large-capacity cartridges. The big blackpowder rounds were meant to be loaded with blackpowder, and they perform better with blackpowder. Therefore if you desire to be a smokeless powder Sharps shooter, stay with those calibers for which smokeless powder ammunition is readily available. "

If it was me, I'd DEFINATELY clear this with Kirk before I blew off a round.

Hal

[/b]
Omak Cowboy

BP

Post by Omak Cowboy »

And what would be the reason no Black is allowed? ( Oh could I fill in the blanks here about Commie Country and what is PC..but I'm being a good boy..)
The as alwasy mildly repentant and somewhat reformed
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Gentlemen,

Let me assure you I have been deep, deep in the Heart of Communist country and those boys love "black powder".

Goes well with the Vodka.

Your problem isn't Commies, its "idiots".

Hal
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Hangfire, check a little farther down the Support page and check out Smokeless. Kirk answers a similar question there. It doesn't directly address the .45-110, but it may be of some help. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Dennis Faerber

45/110 loads

Post by Dennis Faerber »

I've had good luck with AA5744 in the 45/110. With the 500 RCBs.....I anneal the gas check, size to .459", and use 33-34gr under a small tuft of dacron.....accurate. I also use a 420gr paper patch with 35 gr of 5744 with good results
Swany

Post by Swany »

Hangfire, when you load smokeless powder in that large capacity 110 case, you'll probably want or have to add a filler of some sort to fill up some of that capacity. In the old days when I was Just a kid my dad reloaded for his 30-40 Kraig and used some kind of filler with the powder I believe. I can't remember what he used, been over 35 years ago.
NRA Endowment member 45-70 #3 Sporter Gun ownership is protected by the second amendment and is every law abiding persons privilage and responsibility.