Garrett Sharps

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

remington1858

Garrett Sharps

Post by remington1858 »

I just picked up a Garrett Sharps in 45-70. Looking for good BP and modern loads for it. Any other information would be helpful also.

Thanks,
Wes
drcook

Re: Garrett Sharps

Post by drcook »

a google search with this as the arguement will find you lots of useful information

45-70 loads site:http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

here is a clickable link to do your seach with.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&rlz=1C2GGG ... 00&bih=487
We thought about it for a long time Endeavor to persevere. And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I've got one that I shot for about 10 years in BPCR silhouette competition. Mine has a 28" barrel. Finding a bullet that fits will be your first chore. The barrel on mine measures .443 bore and .463 groove. I shot a 500 gr. round nose from an original Ideal loading tool for quite a few years. It was small but it bumped up if cast in 30 to 1. It was real pig slayer, but I never did well on rams with it. I bought a Lyman mold on ebay, I think it is a 457621. I've never seen another like it. It is similar to the 457125 but the nose is longer more like the Postell, but not quite. The nose diameter is right and I bored the last two driving bands to .462. It weighs 532 grains and it shot great. I shot a 30 with it once, my highest score until recently. I used 70 grains of 2FF Goex. I finally could afford a Shiloh and the Garrett is a safe queen now. Good luck with yours.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
remington1858

Post by remington1858 »

Thanks for the help. The link gave me good information and I also noticed that my sharps has very tall lands compared to my rolling block. Time to slug this bore and see what Im working with.
trapdoor1888

Post by trapdoor1888 »

Garrett Sharps are very well made. Enjoy. Oh - smile John Bly.
boge

Post by boge »

trapdoor1888 wrote:Garrett Sharps are very well made. Enjoy. Oh - smile John Bly.

Yes they are. I have three. One '63 percussion carbine, one 50-70 conversion carbine & a 45-70 conversion carbine that I had bored out & relined/rechambered to 50-70 with a 1 in 32" ROT & it's a real 'hummer'!!! :wink:
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
montana charlie

Post by montana charlie »

"IAB’s first reproduction Sharps rifles and carbines arrived in the U.S. in late 1975, sold by SILE Distributors. Since then, the company has produced nearly 80,000 Sharps reproductions, which have been sold under a variety of “brand” names, including Dixie Gun Works, Taylor’s & Company, Tristar Sporting Arms, Armisport, and E.M.F. & Co. Easily the most authentic copy of the “New Model 1863” percussion Sharps carbine ever shot by the author was imported by a company known as Garrett Arms during the mid-1980s."
http://www.gundigest.com/gun-collecting ... ps-rifle/4
Retired...twice. Now, raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time...
boge

Post by boge »

montana charlie wrote:...Easily the most authentic copy of the “New Model 1863” percussion Sharps carbine ever shot by the author was imported by a company known as Garrett Arms during the mid-1980s."[/i]
http://www.gundigest.com/gun-collecting ... ps-rifle/4

FWIW, they were actually made by Palmetto in Italy and not IAB as the author says in the quoted article.
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
arnie

Post by arnie »

I have a Garret Sharps Gemmer model in 45/70 .It definately is way better than the AIB or Sile. Arnie