felt recoil of Quigley model in 45-70/ 45-110

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

newshooter

felt recoil of Quigley model in 45-70/ 45-110

Post by newshooter »

At some point I'd like to get a Quigley model Sharps, either in .45-70 or .45-110, how does the recoil from either of these compare to the typical modern .243 or .30-06, both of which I've shot ?
Bonanza Driver

Post by Bonanza Driver »

Newshooter:

I took delivery of my Quigley - chambered in 45-110 - in November of last year. Like you, I was a bit concerned about the recoil issue. I found that my concerns were overblown. The recoil of this rifle, while substantial, is no where near the level of either of my .30-06 rifles.

About the best way I can describe the difference is that the 45-110 is like a big shove in the shoulder, where a .30-06 is like a smack with a short 2x4. While there is plenty of energy there, the slower burn rate of black powder makes all the difference.

Hope this helps.

All the Best,
Steve
Work Hard,
Play Hard,
Don't Alibi,
Produce
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I've shot a lot of 12ga shotguns that were much worse than my 45-70 sporter #1. It weights 11lbs 9oz.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

A true Quigley is a 45-110 in my opinion. I have owned two original Sharps that weighed around 10 pounds and they were entirely shootable. It depends a little on how much shooting you are going to be doing. If it is a lot then choose another model as they say a long string of shots will be uncomfortable even in a 11 pound rifle.

To answer the question that you asked though....I think a 30-06 kicks more than a 45-110 Quigley which is a lot heavier. I used to hunt sparrows with a 30-06 prior to age 13 for fun!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
deerhuntsheatmeup

real life..........

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I have a friend who owns and shoots a Ital Quigley in 45-70. It is a pleasure to shoot off sticks. Yes, it is heavey, no, it is not a Shiloh, yes, it is accurate, no, it is still not a Shiloh, very low felt recoil, still not a Shiloh. Nice gun though, but buy a Shiloh Quigley, caliber of your choice.....Barvid
Frank

Post by Frank »

newshooter,
I have the Shiloh #1 Sporter 45/70 with 30" heavy barrel. 545 gr bullet and 62 gr. Goex Cart. powder and 80 rounds just fine with a Rand shoulder pad. Without a shoulder pad over 20 rounds and you will know you have been shooting, with the pad never a problem.
Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
don marable

45-110 recoil

Post by don marable »

Newshooter:

I was presented with a Shiloh Sharps Quigley this past Christmas. I have 30 rifles in my gun case and the Quigley is the finest of the bunch. I have not had the opportunity to do much shooting with the Quigley, and I have only fired somewhere around 200 rounds through it. All of these rounds were fired in shooting strings ranging from 30 to 45 shots. I will be 65 years old in a few days, and I mention this because I am quite sure that felt recoil is more bothersome than it was even 10 years ago.

In my opinion, the 45-110 Quigley is pretty stiff recoil. To me, it is much more recoil than a 30-06 or 12-gauge shotgun. A 535-grain bullet in front of 106 to 108 grains of BP in the Quigley will bite you. Can you shoot it and have fun? Yes! But, as one of the other posters said "you will need a recoil pad to enjoy long strings." Pull Redneck's email address off of the membership list and ask his opinion. He is a very accomplished shooter and a real asset to the novice BP shooters (such as myself).

Having said all of the above, I intend to hunt with the Quigley, and I love shooting it. I am going to shoot my Quigley exclusively until I get it to group into 1-1/2-minutes then I am going to purchase a 45-70. I have shot Redneck's 45-70's and they are much easier on the shoulder, and for my shooting purposes, (shooting 500 yards and less) they are more than adequate.

Based on the above, if I was buying my first BP rifle it would still be a 45-110 because it will do more that the 45-70, and as one of my son's say "it has a serious cool factor."

Buy a Sharps of your choice and have a blast.

Don Marable
KHR

Post by KHR »

Newshooter
I have an original 45/110 and it is just under 11 pounds, it beats the tar out of me! the Quigly will have less recoil cause it's heavier. Ask kirk if he can put one of the recoil reducers on the gun, (this may be impossible due to the patchbox). I'm gonna order a 45/110 but will order it with a bull barrel, one of the girls at shiloh said that the Quigly recoil is stout. The use of recoil pads is a great idea, even champion shooters like Dave Gullo use them. (at least that is what he once told me) Look at buffalo arms for all kinds of goodies http://www.buffaloarms.com/ .
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
50 Calshtr

Post by 50 Calshtr »

Spent a few hours on the range bench yesterday with my 45/120 and went thru 50 rounds of 430 and 500 gr bullets over 115 gr of Fg and enjoyed it. The big thing is to shoot from an upright position, with your back as near vertical as possible. You will probably have to raise your sand bags about a foot if your bench is configured like the one I have to use on a public range. I set my bags on the top of my shooting box and it works out nicely. The upright position allows you to sway with the recoil as opposed to trying to stop it with a lower position. I sometimes use a step ladder with my 577 and shoot standing with a bag on the paint can shelf, you can stand a whole lot more recoil with either set up than from a low bench position. Get your Shiloh and have fun!
Crotchety Ole Bart

Post by Crotchety Ole Bart »

I too did not understand the recoil issue with the 45/70 as it did not seem as sharp as my 30-06. But I always shot maybe 20 rounds and from a bench or standing. With BPCR shooting I was laying prone and that moves the impact from the fleshy point of the shoulder up to impacting the collar bone. That becomes uncomfortable with about 20 rounds. So I have built a set of longer sticks and plan to try the sitting position. Then all I have to worry about is my knees locking up.
Dick Hawkins
NRAUSMC
Location: Riverside, Southern California AND Reed Point, Montana

Post by NRAUSMC »

newshooter:

I am quite new to BPCR and I have only shot my Quigley once. :( That is something that I will be changing soon.

But to me, the stories about the recoil from the mighty .45-110 seemed somewhat overblown. It seemed more like a big shove than a hit (like when I fire my Benneli M1 Super90 with slugs).

Note that I only shot from a bench and did not fire from the prone position. At first I used a PAST pad but after a few shots, it wasn't necessary so I just took it off.

Just my opinions and observations.

Paul
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

For those of you with experiance with Quigleys:

I to, am wanting to get a Quigley. My question is:

What would look the best on a Quigley?

Would upgrading the wood to, "Hand Selected, semi fancy", look out of place, given the finish should be antiqued? How about AA or AAA finish? Or polished barrels ect.?

My delima is, it's a Shiloh, my desire encourages me to add all the things Shiloh does so well to make a gun beautiful. On the otherhand, "The Quigley"
as the movie shows, is pretty worn and beat up.

What are you guys thoughts.

Plus, I usually associate a $3000+ gun as being cosmetically beautiful.

Thanks ahead of time,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Texas Shooter,

If you call Shiloh and order a Quigley, you have only two options. You can order in .45/110 or .45/70. Other than calibre choice, you have to accept it as specified in the catalogue.

I wanted a Quigley by I a)wanted it in .45/90, b) wanted a lot of upgrades.

So, I believe it was Heather I first spoke to. So Heather figuretively speaking, "took me by the hand" and led me down the ordering path. She had me order a Hartford in .45/90, Hartford is the base model for the Quigley. I then specifide, 34inch heavy octagon barrel, patch box, military butt plate, gold inlay initials, the essential specs for a Quigley. Then I added my up-grades, semi-fancy wood (that is the highest grade they can go to cut for the patch box. Wood with any more figure in it would be weakened too much by the cut), polished barrel, fire blued and polished screws, AA finish, bedded forearm, traditional checkering. And I ended up with the most beautiful rifle I have ever seen. But, strictly speaking it is NOT a Quigley. But it is MY Quigley. It is my "Duded Up" Quigley.

And I am still wondering how many rifle sales that movie is responsible for.
Lee Stone
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Lee:

Thanks for the post. How does the antique finish look with the semi fancy wood and AA stock treatment?

When I looked at the Quigley order form on the web site, it appeared to offer many extras, that's what was throwing me off.

The polished barrels, the different finishes, checkering etc. is confusing.

I bet it has sold a great deal of rifles. I was up in the air between Shiloh and C. Sharps. Between the referrals I have heard, the guns Shiloh brought to the Safari Show and this forum, the movie just puts iceing on the cake and makes owning/wanting a shiloh a no brainer.

-Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I've never shot a 45-110 but I have shot my 45-70 as many as 70 shots in a day, never have used a pad. I didn't think it was bad at all. I've shot it 80 times in a day once or twice and I still didn't think the recoil was even hardly noticeable. I don't think the -110 would be any worse than a 50-90??? Wouldn't it be nice if all of us could meet somewhere and shoot all the calibres in one day?? Talk about a HOOT!!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter