Unusual deer hunt today

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rich Siegel

Unusual deer hunt today

Post by Rich Siegel »

I went deer hunting this morning with my Shiloh '74 carbine, just a few miles from the house where I normally hunt state released pheasant. Brunswick, Maine. The birds are released the first three weekends of October and you can hunt through December 31 but deer season is Nov. 1 through 30 so few hunt pheasant. Due to very wet weather the last couple of weeks, the third release must have been postponed until this past Sunday.

Anyway, as I was walking out from my stand at 11:00am, I heard a shot in the woods to the right of the field I was in. I saw a pheasant fly out and land near the opposite edge of the field. I waited until the bird hunter and his dog came into the field and told him where the bird landed. While we discussed the beautiful day (temps near 70) his German Short Hair pointed to brush on the other side of the field. The hunter walked over and made a perfect one shot kill on a nice rooster. With that, he walked back to me and asked if I'd like to go for the other bird as he had his two bird limit. I handed him my Shiloh and he gave me his Stevens double. His dog pointed one bird, which got up and flew right at the other hunter. No shot there. Five minutes later, another flush and this time I took a nice rooster with one shot.

When I arrive home, my wife asked if I'd seen anything and I told her I got a pheasant with my Shiloh, well in a way. Makes one think about getting a German drilling.

Rich
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Rich good post and a nice story, thanks, Randy
Randy Ruwe
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Rich S.

A very good story to be sure. Glad you shared it with us. That's probably not how you thought your hunt would turn out, huh.

Regards
HvyMtl

Post by HvyMtl »

Hey Rich,

Good story, nice to see people share. I was just thinking how funny it would have been if while you were shooting that bird and a nice 8 or 10 point buck had come out and the other hunter holding your Shiloh ended up having to shoot it. :lol:

Ken
Beruisis

Post by Beruisis »

Rich, the downside to all this is that now your wife will think your one gun will do it all, no reason to ever get another. You'll have some explaining to do.
B